Friday, September 9, 2016

And that's not all...

While staying overnight for observation, the doctor woke me up to tell me that Philip's blood culture had come back positive for bacteria. Meaning he has bacteria in his blood. This explains more why he was so extremely sick yesterday. It was not just a virus but bacteremia as well. I feel relieved I decided to come to the ER instead of just the pediatrician and they started the antibiotics right away even before the positive culture.  He's been in IV antibiotics every 6 hours and it seems to be helping. His clotting was a little off so they gave him a vitamin K shot to help with that. Today we repeated labs this morning and are waiting to see if his blood grows bacteria again. He had an ultrasound to rule out and absess or liver issue that might be causing the infection but that looked all good. His liver numbers remain good as well. They have to now isolate and figure what the particular bacteria is in his blood so they can fine tune the treatment if needed. But we heard that anytime bacteria is in the blood they would automatically treat for 7 days of IV antibiotics. I'm hoping I heard wrong but looks like we will be in for a few more days. I'm worried that maybe he ate something that was contaminated or I wasn't diligent enough watching what he ate or played with and washing his hands. He is 10x better than yesterday and almost back to himself so I am hoping the bacteria has responded well to the antibiotics and it is not a resistant strain. Continue to pray for Philip and that he can bounce easily back from this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment